These are the best chocolate zucchini muffins I’ve ever tasted. I love this recipe and it’s become a staple in my house. And for those of you with little mouths to feed, these muffins are a sure way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
10 minutes to prepare, 18-22 minutes to bake.
This recipe makes about 20 muffins. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s Special Dark or Valrhona)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Maldon’s salt (if you can’t find some at your local grocery store, try a specialty food store – you’ll thank me! It’s THE best salt)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini, slightly drained
Preheat and prep the pan
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin pan with butter or line with parchment paper liners.
Keep your wet and dry ingredients separate
In a large bowl (I like using the blue MELON® bowl), using a whisk or wooden spoon, beat together the sugars, oil, eggs and vanilla until thoroughly combined. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt (do not crush – leave the flakes whole), baking soda and cinnamon.
Mix, spoon and bake
Gradually add the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture and mix until just combined (do not over mix!). Fold in zucchini until it is evenly distributed into the batter. Using a small measuring cup, scoop (about ¼ cup per muffin) and distribute batter amongst the prepared muffin wells. Bake in a preheated oven for 18-22 minutes.